Official Update: plug.dj is now owned by Rowl

plug.dj is now owned by Rowl.

Thanks again for taking the time to check back in. We really appreciate your patience while we found the best home that could ensure a long-standing future for the music service we all love.

We’re here to stay!

So why Rowl?

Rowl is a great company that places a tremendous focus on community and user experience, which is the very same foundation we created plug.dj in 2012. Rowl is well funded and coupled with your continued support, we can ensure that plug.dj will be around for as long as there’s an audience to support it’s existence.

What’s next for plug.dj?

Good question. The current focus is on stability and getting the new team up to speed as quickly as possible. Myself and some of my colleagues are helping with the transition.

In the past, we experimented with many different features/models to ensure that plug.dj was always super fun while enabling us to keep the site online. There will continue to be a strong focus on evolving plug.dj into a more sustainable platform and with your help we know we can get there.

We’re listening so please keep the helpful feedback coming.

As always, you can reach us at support@plug.dj with your suggestions, feedback and any questions you may have.

We fought a long and hard battle keeping plug.dj running, and even after temporarily shutting down, your support has enabled us to ultimately rise from hibernation. Your funding has helped us relaunch and support the new plug.dj.

If you were a subscriber post September 2015, your subscription will be extended to the end of August.

Thanks again for your continued support and patience while we work through this transition. Your passion and support for plug.dj has always been the lifeblood of our community.

As always, we will continue to work hard to make sure your plug.dj experience as great as it can be.

Alex
@reino
Founder

61 thoughts on “Official Update: plug.dj is now owned by Rowl

1. Brayzure

Thanks for the info!

What will happen to subscriptions that were granted due to supporting Plug.dj via Plug Notes? Those were not mentioned, and appear to have not been extended either.

2. 3DDario

Will You reintroduce Yearly subscription?
    How will you “handle” new strings translation? Will You create something like pLoT (plug.dj League of Translators)?

🙂

1. Eric

We still have BAs and volunteers doing translations, and would like to continue on with the pLoT program.

We’re looking into reactivating the yearly subscription now 😉

1. Eric

We have a combination of new and old admins, as well as familiar BA faces. We’re all dedicated to making plug.dj better than it ever was!

1. Eric

We absolutely want to continue the BA program. A lot of the existing BAs helped us get our feet back on the ground, and we’ll continue to grow it as the site grows.

3. FadiActre

I really hope that you aren’t going to leave only credit card/paypal as payment options. There was more payment options, and i need one of them to subscribe.

4. vespucci

Yesterday I had a dream that plug.dj is back and now I see this. Dude what?!

Anyways, thanks for bringing us awesome site bavk, we missed u so much. Good luck 🙂

1. Jonathan Burnett

I get around the “mobile app soon” message by opening the tab directly to my favorite community via Chrome browser with “Request Desktop Site” checked. Can’t believe it took me this long to think of it…!

Personally, I think you guys should switch it so if I’m signing in via a browser, it still shows that splash screen, but then loads the desktop site… invariably, I prefer the desktop designs of most websites to the mobile app any way… the only time it’s an advantage to use an app is if the device has minimal features, bottom-end technology, then the app makes sense because it’s then securing itself resources it would otherwise have to share.

5. Themightydaphne

Will the ba applications reopen? And what if you have applied before it got down? Also will there be a update if it’s reopening?

6. Angelynk

Hi! Great to have you back!
    I hope you’ll keep up the pLoT thing or a similar project and I’m sure the new team of Admins is going to be goddamn cool.
    Keep up the good work!

#ShareTheLove <3

7. Bilbo Swagginski

Really glad to hear that plug.dj is here to stay! 🙂
    One thing.
    I know there was a way to “download” your saved playlists with the songs you grabbed after plug went down so you wouldn’t lose your favorite music, but for those that didn’t have the opportunity to do so, I would imagine that those playlists are now completely gone right?
    Cheers 🙂

8. ThePimento

“Rowl is well funded”, yeah, we’ve all heard that before. “Plug is doing fine on money! We’re well funded” then 3 months later they’re charging subscriptions, then begging for money, and finally shutting down the site. Sorry, but you guys burned everyone by lying to us on how you were doing with money.

1. Eric

We’ve always tried to be as transparent as a business can be with financial situations. We’re confident we found the right owner, and learned a lot from the past. We hope you’ll give us another chance to show you our goal is and always has been to remain a great place to share music with people from around the world, forever.

1. Eric

Yup, we certainly want to build in those directions as we always have 🙂 We’re focusing on bringing the community back first.

9. A concerned manager

I’m a manager in a room and we’ve had a severe issue with really hateful/racist people coming into the room at all hours of the night. We’ve had BA assistance and IP and permanent bans on a daily basis for a user who keeps creating new accounts and repeating the same hateful acts. This is ruining the experience in the room and making people leave/constantly complain. What are your plans to better control this type of situation (since IP bans have been worthless in controlling the issue)?

1. Eric

You can set the chat level to 3 or make the room private. We’ll continue to innovate to keep our community fun and safe, and we’re always welcome to suggestions!

10. WiBla

Hey,

Why announcing it only now (as the site opened the 31th May I believe) and opened as stg.plug.dj a few month ago ?
    Is bug.dj also your propriety ?

1. Eric

We wanted to announce who our new owners were once we were confident the site was running smoothly. We’ve been working on improvements in the background, and it takes time to get things up to our high standards.

11. 3xp0n3nt

Can you please fix two-finger scroll for mac users? It’s broken. Sometimes works, gets stuck most of the time. Thanks!

1. 3xp0n3nt

Thanks, it happens when changing to a new playlist – I can no longer scroll the playlist with the trackpad’s two-finger scroll in Chrome.

12. Matthew Sanjurjo

Omg I cant wait for new characters to be added im looking to subscribe and get a lot of new characters thanks for coming back…how long do you think it will be before you get a mobile app back?

1. Origin

We don’t currently have a timeframe for when Brand Ambassador applications will come back. But they will come back sometime in the future!

13. parkeerwacht

Is there a way you can fix the password reset feature as the E-mails no longer get send by the system.

1. Origin

Yes you can login via Facebook just fine. Though if you are using Adblock, you will need to disable it first as we’ve found Adblock also removed the Facebook login button.

Hope this helps!

14. catdogblue

As someone who enjoyed.. TT.dj … I think was the name… then when they went away a friend turned me on
    to plug and I LOVED it… only you couldn’t (that i knew of) search to see if you already had a song in your playlist… now you can… so you guys are perfect…by the way, I tried the other 2 (that i know of) sites similar tho they are really nothing like you except you play music with friends. I am not stupid but I could never really get the hang of them…. you are so user friendly. My most fav thing is that you can play music alone in a room …. TT , you had to have another user playing music also…. I can que up a long list and clean house and dance all day long… Getting work done, having fun, and staying healthy…. you have it all for this old man(62)!! Thanks for returning…. I checked everyday after you made the fb announcement that you were coming back…..

15. Luke

Awesome to have you back. I would suggest that the “Search” ( for locating rooms or players) function be looked into and fixed. No matter how detailed you are for locating a room, you get everything else except the right answer. Other than that….Glad you’re back!!!

16. Anon

I am really grateful that plug.dj is back, mainly because I collected a lot of songs on playlists over the past few years, which I lost when the site went down. To be honest, for me, you need to prove that you are a running this site in a way that is sustainable on a long term, because I do not want to lose my playlists again. But again, thank you for reopening!

1. Origin

I am sure we can do our best in the near future to clear up as many questions and doubts people have! Thanks for coming back and sticking around 🙂

17. Anton

O wow, plug dj is back. I missed it. It’s great that my old acc with a subscription and lots of shiny stuff still works.

18. Josh

Hey you guys should really send out a we’re back email. I just was cleaning out my bookmarks and happened to click on the link and found the site to be working again :-). I seemed to miss the new launch in all the social media noise I have :-/

You don’t know how happy it makes me to see this community to be alive again. Will be telling my co workers as we all were on the site before it shut down.

1. Brett Weisberg

Thank you for your concern in getting our site back out there! We have plans for promotion and reaching out to our old users, but first we’d like to make sure the site is stable and improving!

Kind regards,
      Brett | @sinful

19. clarkdn

I second that (about a welcome back email).

I happened to see a link on a random search I did. WOW! We’re back!

Let’s spread the word. My old community would be excited to hear about it, but I don’t know their contact info to let them know. Let’s bring ’em back!

20. J_Dubb

Hey guys, been a while since you guys have dropped anything on the blog. How are things going? Is the future of plug looking solid?

1. Brett Weisberg

While we cannot disclose information related to progress, features, or release dates – Releasing mobile apps for both Android and iOS is something we are planning.

Keep an eye out on social media for any updates!

Kind regards,